7-INGREDIENT MACADAMIA CARAMEL SLICE (vegan, gluten-free) ✨😍 Starting 2021 with this banger!
It’s a classic with an Aussie touch (macadamias) but nonetheless insanely delicious! If you want to make something that will impress even the pickiest critic, definitely give this a try!
I used the amazing naturescharm_au coconut whipping cream, along with pantry staples from thesourcewestendbrisbane and my favourite protein to bake with: the salted vanilla one by macr0mike (discount code in bio) ✨
Here is the recipe ➡️
7-INGREDIENT MACADAMIA CARAMEL SLICE (vegan, gluten-free)
Makes: 8 bars
✅2 cups almond meal
✅1/4 cup vegan vanilla protein powder
✅1/3 cup rice malt syrup
✅1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
✅1/2 teaspoon salt
Macadamia Caramel layer:
✅1/2 cup coconut cream (I used naturescharm coconut whipping cream)
✅ 2 tablespoons coconut oil
✅1/2 cup coconut sugar
✅2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
✅2 cups macadamia, chopped
Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Prepare a square baking tin with non-stick paper. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C / 350 degrees F fan-forced.
2. Make the Shortbread Base: mix all ingredients together until a dough forms. Transfer this as an even layer into your baking tin and use a fork to poke holes in it.
3. Bake the base for 12-15 minutes until golden. Remove and pop this in the fridge to cool
4. Make the macadamia caramel layer: add the coconut cream, coconut sugar and syrup to a small pot on medium heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for 6-8 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning. Add in the macadamia and then transfer the entire mixture as an even layer over the shortbread base.
5. Bake the slice for another 18-20 minutes until the macadamia is nicely toasted
6. Remove from the oven and allow the slice to fully cool before slicing. The caramel will firm up as it cools down.
*Storage tips: in an airtight container at room temp for 2 days, fridge for a week or frozen for months
Enjoy guys! Try to stop at just one slice 🙈 Happy new year! 💓